As the holidays approach so does the challenge of keeping your commitment to healthful eating. You can reduce fat and calories without sacrificing taste by swapping out a few ingredients in your favorite recipes.
- Use two egg whites in place of one egg to reduce cholesterol.
- Use low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth in your mashed potatoes to add flavor and cut back on added butter or margarine.
- Substitute applesauce for oil, margarine or butter in muffins and quick breads like banana bread.
- For dips and sauces, use fat-free yogurt or sour cream.
- Sliced almonds make a delicious, crunchy topping in place of fried onion rings.
- Choose reduced-fat or low-fat cheeses for salads and casseroles.