Sometimes people become so stressed they forget how to relax. However, intentionally tensing the muscles can force the body and mind to relax because muscles relax the most right after they are tensed.
Here’s how to do it:
- Take two slow, deep belly-breaths.
- On the third inhalation, tighten your right arm from your shoulder to your hand.
- Hold tightly for two or three seconds.
- As you exhale, relax fully and let your arm drop.
- Repeat the first four steps with your other arm, each leg, and then your entire body.
- As you practice, repeat a relaxing affirmation, such as, “I have all the time in the world” or “I am relaxed and at peace.”