By keeping your heart healthy, you can spend even more time with the special people in your life. If you pay attention to your health, you can actually reduce or slow down the chance of developing heart disease.
1. Quit Smoking: Cigarettes contain chemicals that severely damage blood vessels and deteriorate the lungs resulting in difficulty breathing, emphysema and heart failure
2. Take the Stairs, Bypass the Elevator: Exercise sheds unwanted pounds so the heart doesn’t work as hard to pump blood through the body
3. Eat More Fiber: Fiber helps decrease cholesterol levels (a main culprit for heart disease) and can help maintain a healthy body weight, so chow down on some heart healthy oatmeal in the mornings
4. Eat Smaller Meals More Frequently: This decreases your hunger throughout the day so you aren’t tempted to overeat (and overeat unhealthy foods) at your next meal
5. Eliminate Stress: Stress puts a lot of strain on the heart, so try practicing stress-reduction techniques, such as yoga, weekly to help put your mind at peace